Water and Sanitation
"Every Human has a right to clean, safe, assessable water. Water and sanitation is the essence of life, it is only through clean water and proper sanitation that we are able to build, grow and multiply. Without clean water and facilities we cannot survive."
Since its establishment HIJRA has worked to implement programs designed to address emergency interventions in Water and Sanitation. Our WASH projects in Somalia work to implement improved access to safe water and essential public health materials for the displaced found throughout the many IDP camps in Mogadishu and The Afgooye Corridor.
In response to the 2007 upsurge in violence and the limitations placed on the current systems of water distribution, HIJRA partnered with OXFAM GB to implement improved methods of distribution. The partnerships focus is on the provision of clean water and sanitation facilities through the construction of water storage platforms designed to gravity pipe sanitized water to a network of collection points around the region.
Our WASH program components include; the construction of sanitation facilities, the promotion of proper hygiene practices and the delivery of immediate lifesaving support. The program further works to ensure community sustainability and development through the training of independent volunteer Water, Environment and Sanitation (WES) committees.
HIJRA's programs today have built over 6,000 pit latrines, constructed 150 garbage disposal sites, provided 3500 sanitation kits and provided safe water to 150 IDP camps.
HIJRA has successfully worked to construct and install 6 water platforms, 13 water tanks and over 100 distribution points.
- To improve access to potable water for vulnerable communities through the development and rehabilitation of strategic water sources.
- To improve access, construct and renovate Latrines for vulnerable communities
- Designing of emergency water supply systems from boreholes (pumping, storage and gravity distribution)
- Water treatment and bacteriological water testing
- Development of program monitoring framework
- Production of monitoring tools
- Safe water chain (collection, storage and use)
- Hand washing
- Latrine use and cleanliness
- AWD/Cholera preparedness and response plan
- Environmental sanitation